shabby blog

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Who do we dine with?

 MARK 2:15-17
While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him.  when the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples:   "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?
On hearing this, Jesus said to them,  "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.  I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."


So often people step foot inside a church building and immediately feel condemned.  Even I have taken a seat in a worship service and wrestled the sensation that I am the only messed-up fool in the crowd.  

Everyone else is smiling, well-dressed, articulate, educated.  The appearance of normality, and the quick "how are you"/ "I'm great" banter isolates me within the knowledge of my sinful reality. 

I step foot inside our church building and immediately feel the awesomeness of a Holy God and my utter dependence of His power to do the meekest task in a good way.  I have for years felt like the only "sinner" I know.  

This is not true, of course!  And this passage in Mark reminds me that being a 'sinner' doesn't mean I cannot be near Jesus.  Being a 'sinner' is actually the RSVP that puts my name on the guest list to dine with Him.




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pix of all the Easter F*U*N*!
    We're looking forward to jumping into the fun with Jayden, Zach & Ollie this coming weekend!
    Love, Papa & Mima

    ReplyDelete


My Backyard Sunrise