shabby blog

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mountain Retreat

Hello loved ones,
The Kotagiri Mountains are laced with elegant rows of tea trees. And the air that surrounds is crisp and refreshing, especially in contrast with the sticky Salem heat we left this morning. We will stay here through Monday and join the church service tomorrow morning where we will dedicate Pastor Gideon's 3 month old daughter, Queen.
An hour ago we made our way into the village to a believer's home where literacy classes take place during the week. About 20 children huddled on the floor to meet us and they sang a couple of songs they have learned in Sunday school. I shared with them a short message that I am teaching my 3 children based on Exodus 23:2 -- "Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong."
We had a great time learning each other's names and they giggled as I failed to pronounce theirs. A small boy was brought to me by a young girl so I could pray for him because he is deaf and mute. Then ALL of them latched onto my arms, legs, jacket-- whatever could be grabbed-- and showed me the well where they get drinking water and the Rooster coop and vegetable garden nearby.
If only I could add a picture now because I think my words are desperately inadequate to convey the joy that we had together! Unfortunately I am in an Internet cafe and don't have the ability to upload any photos. :(
The journey that led us to our Mountain Retreat in Kotagiri has been incredible. I feel at peace here; oddly at home. Only when I catch a glimpse of my ivory skin do I remember how different my world is at home.
Esther says that she and the pastors are 'gleaners'. They gather the people that the other missions and churches leave behind: the poor, the un-loved, the Outcasts. And it is these people that have shown us the most love and kindness.
I can't wait to share detailed stories and photos, but know that your prayers for us are literally being answered before our eyes!!! We are blown away by the testimonies of our Christian brothers and sisters -- so many miracles--, and by their sacrifice.
Yesterday in Sarvoy Pudir, a group of the believers traveled over 20 kilometers on 2 buses to come to church. And all of them left their jobs and much needed income to worship the LORD with us. One man shared that he had tied up his cattle and had faith that God would take care of them!
We are missing you all, but don't want to leave yet as we know that God still has much reveal to us.
Lots of love!
Adrienne and Marty

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhh your posts remind me of EVERYTHING! I miss it all SO much! Give everyone extra hugs and love from me! Praying for you guys and sending love!

    ReplyDelete


My Backyard Sunrise